A little bit about my path to meditation.
Shortly after September 11th, I had a strong experience that spontaneously occurred along with the shock, fear and grief – it felt like a spiritual opening. I was twenty-two years old. Things inside me became very clear and still. Life was vibrant, details came alive. I was altered in a way that I could not define. Personally, it felt wonderful and calm but I showed up different to others which freaked my family out. While I felt that my new perception was more real than it was before, truth was I had no ability to hold this new understanding of life and myself.
Before I eventually wound up in the mental hospital and heavily medicated, I met with one therapist who calmly suggested that I was possibly experiencing what is called a spiritual emergence. Hearing those words was relieving and instantly resonated as truth.
While recognizing that medication is just the right thing for some people, I knew it wasn’t right for me and instead I found the practice of meditation as my “medication”. Fourteen years later, I have found it to be a sound and practical way to work with the range of human emotions, stress, anxiety and the other common modern afflictions. I have never been back on medication or hospitalized again and now know how to handle the difficulties of life with ease and live more peacefully.
This personal experience and all of my meditation training has moved me to work with others who also want peace, less stress, and alternatives to drugs, alcohol and medications as a way to feel better. My approach is warm, accessible, non-judgmental and perfect for those who have never meditated before, those who want to learn now, and for those who think they can’t. You can expect me to be humorous and down-to-earth.
I look forward to sharing what I have learned with you. You, too, can live peacefully.
Work with me
I am a full-time meditation teacher and singing bowl practitioner leading group and individual sessions for over ten years in New Jersey and New York City. I teach basic awareness meditation in an inspiring, practical and personally relevant way, helping people connect to the wisdom of the body. This work is deeply rooted in my long-standing personal practice with my teacher, Purna Steinitz.
My experience includes working with people who suffer from stress, anxiety, grief, illness, depression and those interested in connecting with the spiritual part of their life. I work in a wide range of settings from living rooms to board rooms to prisons, and tailor my programs to individual needs.
I am also the Director of The Event, a transformational training that helps create breakthroughs in people’s lives.
What Style of Meditation?
I practice and work with a basic awareness form of meditation that centers around the wisdom of the body.
Meditation is a simple practice to learn how to be present and remember yourself. Re-member means to become whole again; body, mind, and heart. Once we come into being present, we can grow our ability to pay attention. Meditation is the conscious process of turning your attention inward and cultivating a non-judgmental relationship with yourself. It is a way to work with your mind instead of your mind working you. It is a way to learn how to live with a growing ability to relax despite the circumstances and just be.
It is important to know that meditation is not about “quieting the mind,” “stopping your thoughts and emotions” or “having only positive thoughts.” Rather it is to learn how to have a different relationship with your mind that has more awareness, gentleness and understanding. Many call meditation a path of freedom.
As your guide, you can expect me to be steadfast, nurturing and a good listener. I will create the space for you to verify the merit of meditation for yourself.
What does a session with me look like?
- Immediately settling into a non-judgmental and relaxing space.
- Meditation Explanation – What is it? Why does it work? What about it scares people off?
- Meditation instruction (simple and easy to understand).
- Conversation about what is going on for you, what you want to focus on and what you want to achieve.
- Practical steps of how to integrate meditation into your daily life while recognizing the natural speed you want to go.
- Inspired readings to share the background and context of meditation.
- Selected book of wisdom that will support our work together.
- Calming sounds of the Tibetan Singing bowls are weaved through out.
- A relaxing sound therapy treatment will occasionally be part of the session.
- For those who are interested in working on health, I will recommend and guide you through a very gentle cleanse.
A change of diet is the fastest way to feel a change in well-being.
Meditation and cleansing are a complementary fit (see more on Cleanse page).
* I can work with you in person or over the phone.
- You can practice meditation, no matter how busy your mind is .
- You are successful simply for showing up .
- You will learn how to be at ease and accepting of yourself .
- You will learn how to work with your thoughts and emotions.
- You will learn to create and appreciate a more simple life.
- Relief from stress, anxiety, panic attacks.
- Clear & focused attention.
- Greater awareness.
- Improved health & well-being.
- Understanding of what creates your suffering.
- Learning how to untangle from your suffering.
Get a Taste of Meditation: 3 Private Sessions tailored to you.
After years of teaching meditation, I have found that three sessions give a person an honest chance to see and feel what meditation is, the many benefits of practicing it and how they can incorporate meditation into their daily life.
You can practice meditation, starting from any point! Just show up and you will be successful.
Schedule is flexible. (Contact me.)
Investment is $225 ($75 savings), commitment needed up front. (This is the price if you come to my meditation space, more if I travel to you.)
Offering private or group meditation classes in Montclair, Manhattan, Maplewood and Essex, Bergen and Sussex Counties.
Meditation is just a courage
to be silent and alone.
Slowly slowly, you start feeling a new quality
to yourself, a new aliveness, a new beauty,
a new intelligence which is not borrowed from anybody, which is growing within you.
It has roots in your existence.